Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Return of Controlled Chaos

Robin has gone off to one of her Physician Assistant conferences and will be away until Friday; which after the first day as Mr. Mom feels like it will be a Friday in a new millennium. This is one of those times where a time machine would come in handy.

I believe that this is where my being obsessive compulsive shines. I like order, I need order to survive, and I need order to feel comfortable. That said, trying to be orderly with 4 kids 7 and under doesn’t exactly come easy. To maintain that path I must operate on all cylinders all the time and even then, to sustain order I need to take 2 minutes out of every hour to take a deep so that my head doesn’t explode. My OC is a safeguard and assures me that nothing falls through the cracks when taking care of my kids.

I’m sure you have a clear image in your head of me running around as if my hair was on fire, but I can assure you that things are well under control. The house is clean, the kids are dressed in clean clothes, they’re fed, they’re on time for school, and most importantly happy.

My obsessive compulsive disorder was never diagnosed, but people around me have told me that I have some characteristics of someone whom is OCD. I’ve gotten better at controlling it which has makes my wife’s life a bit less stressful. I don’t get bent out of shape as much anymore if the house is in complete disarray; oh it bothers me, but I try to redirect my energy elsewhere to be more productive.

Well that’s all for now.

I know I’m forgetting to do something this morning.

13 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Well clearly your OCD hasn't transferred itself to blogging, or we'd be hearing a bit more from you..

Amy Flege said...

i agree with kim!!!
good luck with the kids! sounds like you will do just fine! glad to see you post again!

Jeff said...

You sound like a DAD to me...

Peace

BStrong said...

Kim - Obviously, duh! - What's to hear from me anyway. My life is quite dull.

Amy - Thanks Amy. We survived this round.

Jeff - Aw shucks, you're just saying that. I need to buy a mapron (a man apron)to complete my outfit.

Tom said...

When you discover the secret for doing both (clean house and sane mind) pass it along. Cheers...

Archie said...

Finding time to post with four kids is pretty good - it's hard enough with one.
I like the idea of redirecting energy to be more productive - I'm far from OCD but have my own energy to, uh, redirect sometimes...

C. J. McMillan said...

Hi
My name is Carol and I have a daughter with Down Syndrome and I have a blog about what it is like to be a mother of a down's child. I would be interested in a link exchange with you. My site is
http://carolspersonalblog.blogspot.com

Kim Ayres said...

You still alive, or has working back in the corporate world sucked your brains out?

BStrong said...

Kim - I'm still alive and working on preserving the brain cells that have been so kind to stick with me through my transitional period.

Things have been quite overwhelming and I haven’t had much time for myself. I’m not complaining; I’m just searching for balance.

Hope all is well with you and the family

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I love you guy!

Anonymous said...

Bstrong,
I have just discovered your blog and will be reading it more frequently. I too am the parent (Mom) of a child with DS. However, my child passed away 5 years ago. Our Jake was just two weeks past his second birthday when he passed. Your wife's blog links to a site in Western PA. I live in Western PA too - Butler. I read with interest your open letter and completely understand. After our son was born, we entered a phase of radio silence. He was in the NICU at West Penn for 11 days with his heart defect (AVSD). No one called, no one sent gifts. It was awful. It wasn't until I mentioned to my mother-in-law that we weren't hearing from anyone that she spread the word that we were upset by the abandonment. People started calling and sending cards and gifts after that. Please post more lovely pictures of your beautiful girl (and all your children). She is truly a gift from God and one to be cherished.

Jeff said...

Brother B

Lost your number...hit my blog and email me when you can.

Peace

one FAB knitter! said...

hello from New Zealand..I can understand the OCD thing!!! I am going through that stage while I design knitwear..my lounge has wool in every corner.I design, but am hoping to put them on a baby soon..read my blog to see why!!