Friday, July 01, 2005

Joys of Coming Home

When I come home from the office after a long days work feeling like a wet noodle all I can think about is throwing myself on the couch for the evening, but as soon as I walk through the door everything changes. My to older kids 5 and 2 1/2 run over and give me a big hug, unless Kim Possible is on the TV, then its just a hi daddy. It's the greatest feeling in the world when your kids hug all the frustration of the office away. All I feel like doing is falling on the floor and tickling the heck out of them. Then I look at our baby (Little Peanut) who is 1 and she gives me the biggest and brightest smile. Forget lighting up the room, she can light up a city.

Being a father of a child that has Down Syndrome is probably the greatest gift I have ever received (Yes, my two other kids are right up there). She has taught me so much in her first year of life. It's fascinating how one little person who can't talk yet can show you how to be a better husband, father, son and friend. Yesterday was a good day.

1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

Songbird's comment on yesterday's post was a good one.

It is funny how your attitude about Down syndrome changes when you have a child with it. I feel like you do, about my son. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. He has such a great personality and is so pleasant to have around. It is a huge shift in perspective.