Friday, September 30, 2005

Story Time

I’m sitting at my laptop wondering what to write about on this beautiful Friday afternoon and nothing really comes to mind. I don’t know what it is about blogs, they seem to become apart of your life after awhile and you feel the need to post something even though there’s nothing to post about. It’s like a drug “I need my fix man, give me a computer to type on, please I need it bad”. I suppose I could make up a story to try and entertain all you cyber druggies out there; so here it goes.

I went fishing last night to relax, something that I haven’t done in quite awhile. As I was throwing out my first cast I noticed something glimmering in the water, it wasn’t a fish or anything that I have ever seen, I leaned over the rail of my boat and the light started to get brighter. Reaching in with my net to try and grab it, it didn’t occur to me that this light may be something that could harm me, something this magnificent couldn’t be a threat, could it? As the net went into the water my weight shifted and I slipped on the deck and fell over. To my surprise, I was not wet and wondered how this could be. Then it was clear, I didn’t fall in; the light had risen above the surface of the water to catch me. I felt myself weightless hovering above the water a few feet away from my boat. Everything went black.

It was still dark when I woke up on the banks of the lake, nothing was clear to me. I stood still for a few moments to figure out what had just happened. Was I dreaming? Was I dead? Did I have an encounter with something unexplainable? What happened? Just then I felt a hand gently touch my shoulder which startled me in the quiet night. I turned my head to see who or what it was. I found my father standing there before me motioning for me to stand up. I was more than happy to oblige since the ground was cold and uninviting. He reached out his hand and I grabbed a hold as he effortlessly lifted me up. I stood face to face eye to eye with him. The look on my face must have been one of sheer bewilderment because it prompted my father to tell me it was going to be ok. He gently grabbed my arms and brought me closer to him; he gave me a kiss on my cheek and embraced me. I was startled because like a load of bricks it hit me; I was standing before my father with our eyes staring at the same height, but I knew this couldn’t be because my father died when I was 14 just a few weeks after our last fishing trip together and I was a lot smaller then. He must have sensed again that I was confused because he took my hand, placed it in his and brought it to my heart and smiled.

I woke up on my boat, the light was gone. I brought in my line and headed towards shore. I didn’t catch any fish that night, but I knew that things were going to be ok.

I love you too dad

* A little fact and fiction

6 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, that was very moving! Thanks for writing that. I'm sitting here trying to think of something else to say but... Wow.

Unknown said...

Sitting here with chills and tears of joy for you.

What a magnificant fishing trip.

Kim Ayres said...

With so much doubt, uncertainty and unpredictablity in life, it's wonderful to find little moments of reassurance.

Pilgrim said...

You must have had a good father. You are becoming such a great one, yourself.

Belovedlife said...

OK so when did you become such a writer?
Good Tale dear,
Luv YA

Kim Ayres said...

Hey B, is everything OK? It's unlike you to not post some kind of reply in your comments. And with no fresh posts this month, thought I'd better ask.