Thursday, August 18, 2005

Off We Go.......Again.

It’s time to hit the road again. Cleveland, “The Mistake on the Lake” as we Pittsburghers like to call it. In the 1970’s the Cuyahoga River caught fire. Apparently someone threw a lit cigarette into the lake and since it was so polluted the darn thing ignited. Now that’s funny.

Our friends moved to Cleveland a few years ago and since Cleveland is only 2 ½ hours away we take weekend trips there every once in awhile. I hope the road trip isn’t a disaster like our Michigan trip was a few weeks ago. Our friends have three beautiful boys which will be really nice for my son who is currently growing up in a house with two sisters. Put away the Barbies and bring out the tanks, thank god (it’s a dad thing).

The one thing I always do when we go away is to pay attention to how people react to Little Peanut. It doesn’t really make a difference to me how they react, I just get curious. I suppose it’s not a good habit to get into and I’m sure I’ll out grow it, but Little Peanut is only 16 months now and we are still rookies. I feel that my wife and I have come along way but we are still, in my opinion, over protective of Peanut. Our plan is to parent peanut the same way we do our other two typical children.

I’m not sure where this post is heading, but I woke up this morning feeling a little blaa. I think I’m just going to have one of those days. What I do want to say is that since starting this blog a few months ago, I am very grateful to all my readers for their suggestions, support and stories on the beauties and difficulties of raising a child with special needs. It’s nice to know that we are not alone in our quest.

Today is a bla day.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I know what you mean about watching and waiting to see how people will react to your daughter. Maggie and I were a lot like that with Meg when she was younger, but after 7 and a half years it doesn't tend to occur to us these days to anything like the same extent.

What we have found is that the overwhleming majority of people tend to be very friendly. At the supermarket, for example, almost without fail the person on the till will smile and chat to her. I don't know whether my initial fears were far too great, or whether we've been extremely lucky, but apart from one of the nurses back when she was born, we've never had to deal with negative reactions to our daughter.

To a large extent I can't help but think that most people will follow your lead. If you're nervous and uncomfortable, waiting for a reaction, they in turn will feel on edge in case they offend and so ironically are more likely to do so (like your friends who stayed away or didn't send cards after peanut was born). However, when you are confident and comfortable, treating her like you would treat any other child, it reminds people that she is a wee girl first, and has Downs second.

Cheers,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Have really enjoyed reading your blog and I will keep coming back for more!

I hope the trip to Cleveland goes well and that you and your son enjoy the break from the girly stuff!

As to watching how people react to Peanut, well my daughter Sarah is 13 and I still do it and yes, on the whole, reactions are good and positive. It's normal, you want everyone to love your little Peanut and hey she DESERVES it! As for me, me and my girl are a team and if anyone reacts negatively or ignores her well that's just fine cos I don't like them either, so THERE!

Unknown said...

Have a great road trip.

I still like watching people interact with Emma Sage. We have mostly had positive experiences, some very enlightening experiences and a few 'odd' experiences.

I have mostly come to find that people are very curious, if this is one of their first experienecs meeting a person with T21.....it is great so see 'myths and sterotypes' busted.

My favorite encounter is meeting someone who also has someone in their lives with T21 and the bond and joy that they share with us recounting their 'special someone' is the best.

as for blah days....we all need'em. To appreciate the rainbow you must live through the rain.

Peace, TM